Thursday, December 2, 2010

What is Halal?

Halal literally means "legal" in terms of Sharia law, but it has special significance when applied to the food we eat. 

In Islamic tradition, and animal can not be butchered if it has died before the slaughter.  In addition, the animal to be slaughtered must be fed and watered normally before the slaughter; no other animals can witness the slaughter; the animal must be facing Mecca, and positioned so that it does not see the method of slaughter; it must be killed by having it's throat slit quickly and in the least painful method possible; and it must be slaughtered in the name of Allah.

Now, I have read to observe this "ritual" slaughter can be quite distressing, given the blood and the convulsions of the animal.  In the West, animals are typically "stunned" just before slaughter with a "bolt gun" delivering electricity, and it supposedly looks like a very peaceful procedure.  

But a team of researchers in Germany set out to find the truth.  They used EEG readings on animals slaughtered in the Western fashion as well as in the Halal way, and recorded what (in humans) would be the evidence of feeling pain.

In the Halal method, since the brain is immediately starved of oxygen, there was no pain reading on the EEGs.  Even though the animal may suffer convulsions, it was unaware of any physical sensation at the time.

In the Western method, although no convulsions are generally noted, the EEGs noted evidence of extreme pain just after the administration of electricity and before actual slaughter.

Now, I am all for eating grass-fed beef, and for reducing my environmental footprint by consuming less beef.  But when I DO choose to eat beef, I would really like to know that the method of slaughter was as humane as possible.

If possible, I would ideally buy beef that was both raised naturally and humanely, without the need for antibiotics and hormones, and killed in a humane way.  This would mean grass-fed Halal beef (or lamb, or chicken, etc.).

In addition, the Halal method would allow for more blood to be drained from my beef, which in fact results in a healthier meal.  In essence, this would result in a "veal" type meat, without the forced inactivity and anemia.

I know many people who don't eat meat for ethical reasons.  And Ghandi always said that a way to judge a society was by how it treats it's animals, which I basically agree with.  Because of health issues, it is no longer feasible for me to NOT eat meat.  But that doesn't mean I can' t look for meat that is healthy, ethical, and green at the same time.

I am going to be paying more attention to my local Halal grocer, in the future.

2 comments:

  1. "I'm pretty sure the veal died of loneliness."
    Homer Simpson (in response to Lisa's question if there were anything on the menu that hadn't been brutally murdered)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! If that had been the case, though, I'm still not sure I'd want to eat it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete