Friday, December 24, 2010

OK, One SMALL Post...

I was thinking about the whole debate...  No, not the great Toilet Paper debate, I think we have that one covered hehehe...  But the whole Happy Holidays vs. Merry Christmas debate.


OK, so, I like to wish people a Merry Christmas.  I guess some people wanted to be more "politically correct" than that, and sort of recognize that there are many holidays that get celebrated around this time of year.


Certainly there is Christmas, but we all know there is also Hanukkah and Kwanza, and every so often (not coming soon, but it does happen) Ramadan falls in the winter months as well.  And it would feel I guess to some that, to indiscriminately wish everyone a Merry Christmas, without a clue as to whether or not they celebrate,  might seem, well, overbearing.


Then I started to think about this:  What if someone wished me a Happy Hanukkah.  Would I be offended?    Absolutely not!  I think I would be pleasantly surprised to hear that.  And the same would go for Happy Kwanza or Joyous Eid.  


IN FACT, I think I would be really touched, because I wouldn't see that as an affront to my inherent Christianity, but more of an extension of Good Will that crossed all religious boundaries.  I have to figure that if someone wished me a happy holiday of any variety, they would be doing so because they really wished me joy on a day that was special to them.


And so, I have made up my mind -- it's Merry Christmas to all, from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment