Saturday, December 11, 2010

Back in the Day

I like to think of my college years as "back in the day".  I think of all the energy and self-control I had, back in the day.  I love to regale people with stories of all the crazy things I did, back in the day.  And I have lots of memories of how I would drive my friends and roommates to distraction, back in the day.

I used to be very organized.  I would consult my planner say announce like "We really need to be studying now, because tomorrow we have a hacky-sack tournament after class, Thursday we have that show to go to, and we wanted to go skiing on Saturday…".  And my roommates would groan -- knowing not only was I right and we DID need to study, but that I was going to hold them to following through on all the wacky plans we made.

I would alert everyone in the 45-degree March weather, that we had to get some sun because Spring Break was only 5 weeks away and we sure as heck weren't going to get any sun during exam week.

I would hear my roommates complain to me, "DON'T wash those dishes, they aren't even yours, and I was just about to do them myself," to which I would reply that I really didn't mind, and it was only me that was bothered by a full sink anyway.  I was serious.

I would get grief of other sorts, too, such as "WHAT THE HELL are you doing, vacuuming at 10am on a SATURDAY?".

And I would make annoying comments like "Come on guys, is it really that hard to put the towel in the hamper when you are done with it," or "You know we keep those glasses in that cupboard because it's the closest one to the sink…".

Yes, I got a lot done, back in the day.  I managed my schoolwork handily and found time for a job and various social, artistic, and athletic events.  I ran a tight ship and kept a clean, uh, dorm room.  And I annoyed everyone around me.

Having kids and full-time jobs sort of takes the edge off.  I don't have the energy that I once had, back in the day.  And my home is not always completely sanitary in the corners.  Sometimes there are even dust bunnies under the bed.

I occasionally miss an event because my organizational skills are waning, or because I'm just too tired.

The real gratification, though, comes in hearing my husband tell me, "Don't worry, honey.  You are still driving everyone crazy!".

2 comments: