Sunday, December 19, 2010

Unfiltered Chef?

My husband insists that, in order to increase my readership, I need to be more controversial.  He doesn't make this assertion in a vacuum…  He is well aware of the ascorbic thoughts that go through my head at practically every moment of the day.

The thing is, after 40-some years of conditioning myself to bite my tongue, to stifle the urge to say what's on my mind -- to engage what my family calls my "filter"…  I just don't think the World is ready for my opinions.

A friend once remarked that we have to be careful "not to mistake [my] witty banter for bitchiness…".  Indeed.

My tongue has gotten me into plenty of trouble before.  One might be surprised how easy it is to move even a generally civilized man to want to hit a woman.  There are, however, a couple of times where I will allow certain controlled (dare I even suggest rehearsed?) remarks to escape.

One favorite is, when I see someone without proper license plates or hang tags, who clearly isn't handicapped, park in a handicapped spot.  My favorite quip is to yell after them, "Excuse me, I think those spaces are reserved for the PHYSICALLY handicapped!".  I have nearly been slugged on more than one occasion.

Or when you see someone's unattended children running and cavorting loudly through a crowded store, knocking into people and displays, I'm fond of shouting, "Do you even HAVE parents?  Have you been raised by wolves?".  Somehow after a remark like this, concerned parents materialize rapidly.

Related to this caper is to tell children in a crowded mall, zipping around on Heelys (those shoes with the roller-skate type wheels built into them), "Your parents don't love you, that is why they bought you those shoes!  They hope you are going to break your neck on them!"…  I once needed to run from Security after this remark!

Sometimes I wonder if a guy like Will Ferrell, Ron White, or Adam Sandler ever had these sorts of problem.  Not that I think I'M that funny, but you know, I'm sure even those guys have to have their "not that funny" moments too.  And it's a little hard to imagine Bob Saget or Howie Mandell saying these sorts of things.

Another good one is, in a grocery store or other place with a long line, when you see someone trying to sidle in ahead of others, pretending not to notice the line, I like to tap them on the shoulder and say, "Please, go ahead, cut in front of me.  I don't mind at all, and neither do these other 20 people who have been patiently waiting behind me like civilized human beings…".  This usually draws apologies and dagger-glances at the same time.  I pray no one follows me to my car one day.

And finally, when I see someone heckling some older, clearly immigrant cashier in a crowded store, to either hurry up or speak English or some other such bigoted and rude comment, I like to just tell them, "I'd like to see you do better.  In Bejing.".

No, I don't think the World is ready for my unfiltered opinions and observations.  Not just yet  -- and I'm not ready for it either.  Not unless I consistently leave the house in full body armor, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment