Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Great Caper Caper

A short (but true!) one for you, so we don't all go into Post Overload!



I go into a lovely eatery that serves breakfast at any time, in wonderful Arlington Virginia, at 1am.   I walk up to a deserted counter with one rather sleepy-looking guy at the register. His shirt (no name tag) proclaims him to be an Operating Partner.

After a very brief scan of the menu, I order a bagel all the way.  To go.

OP:  That will be $2.17, ma'am.

Me:  That doesn't sound right.

OP:  A bagel with cream cheese. That's $2.17.

Me:  But I wanted a bagel all the way.

OP:  I'm afraid I don't know what you mean.

Me:  It's a bagel with cream cheese, smoked salmon, onions, capers....

OP:  What's a caper?

Me:  It's a little round green thing that you put on bagels.

OP:  Oh, a pea?

Me:  No, a little round green SALTY thing you put on bagels.

OP:  A scallion?

Me:  No, a caper (are scallions round?).

OP:  I'm afraid I don't know what that is.

Me:  It's OK, the guys in the kitchen will know.

OP:  I don't think we have those ma'am (again with the ma'am!!!!).

Me:  Have you SEEN your menu?

OP:  Yes (need I say it???) ma'am, I've been here 10 years.

Me:  Then you're not a very quick study, are you?

OP:  Ummm…

Me:  I have a daughter, she's known what a caper is since she was maybe 4 years old.

OP:  I don't think we have those (AAAAAAAARRRGGGGGGHHHHH!) ma'am.

Me:  ARE YOU SURE YOU HAVE SEEN YOUR MENU?  HERE?

OP:  Yes, ma'am (I'm about to kill someone now!), I've been here 10 years.

Me:  Yes, I think we've covered that.  Well, never mind then.

OP:  Pardon?

Me:  I'm going to Marios. They don't ask me what a sausage is.

OP:  Pardon?

Me:  It must be getting really easy to become an Operating Partner anymore.

OP:  Ma'am (!!!!!)?

Me:  Nothing, just go read your menu.

This was an actual conversation, too silly for me to have made up!  Although I must say, his manners were IMPECCABLE!

1 comment:

  1. mmmm... capers. But I think I'll skip the salmon and bagel and have mine with some thinly pounded chicken, lemon butter and fettucini.

    ReplyDelete