Saturday, November 27, 2010

Aaaaaahhhhhh, Football!

Aaaaah, football.  The one reason I will wake up early on a Sunday (other than fishing, of course), anymore.  I learned the basics of the game from my Grandpa -- on his couch watching after many a Sunday dinner, and in the back yard learning how to throw the perfect spiral.

Back in "the day", Grandpa set down the law for me as well.  Living so close to Philadelphia, it is not surprising that he told me "We root for the Eagles, the Redskins, and anyone playing Dallas.  In that order.".

I remember that Thanksgiving was always a special treat, not just because the food or the time with family that is even more dear to me now that we are all so far-flung.  But because it was the much-awaited Redskins Cowboys game.  It was the original Thursday night football game.

The food was always wonderful…  My Grandma always made sure we were filled to the point of bursting.  I don't quite recall what she served for appetizers, other than the fact that it always included my two favorites:  shrimp cocktail with extra-hot cocktail sauce, and this date bread you had to bake in a can, topped with cream cheese.  

Then on to the turkey with all the trimmings…  Stuffing, gravy (NO LUMPS!), mashed potatoes, candied yams, her famous cole slaw that I am proud to be the only one who can still make, green bean casserole, crescent rolls, the works.

And then dessert -- the requisite pumpkin pie, of which I was never a fan, and then coconut cake for those of us pumpkin-challenged.  With plenty of ice cream and whipped cream to top whatever was your pleasure.

And then the game, oh the game!  I would sit next to my Grandpa, who would pull me close and tell me about picks, screens, draws, and fourth-down conversions.  Although I know now that he knew the ins and outs of a 3-4 and the "nickel", we never quite got to that part of the discussion when I was eight.

He would pump me full of details on the history of the Eagles and Redskins, and sometimes even the Dolphins.  The Cowboys, on the other hand, were just remarked of as "the Evil Empire".  Did you know that Vince Lombardi coached the 'Skins one year?  I did!

My Grandpa and I, we simply loved George Allen, Billy Kilmer, and the Over the Hill Gang.  Jack Pardee was OK, but not the best years for the 'Skins.  But oh, how we liked that Joe Gibbs guy!  We loved the Fun Bunch as well, and thought the excessive celebration rule was a bunch of bunk.

But the thing I liked the BEST was, in a house completely filled with people, this was time just for me and Grandpa to spend together.  Other people watched the game, to be sure.  But I don't remember that so much.  I remember that it was me and my Grandpa Dan, on the sofa or scrunched into his favorite armchair, just the tow of us discussing and loving every minute of the game.

I am a little spoiled, in that I knew all of my Grandparents.  Three of them lived well into my 20's.  My Grandpa, he made it until I was in my 30's.  I got to spend a lot of time with them, because for much of my childhood, we lived close by.  I didn't know then what I know now -- how not everyone has this blessing of a large, close family, and actual time to spend with them.

I miss my Grandpa Dan.  He taught me so many things, that they simply can't be contained in one blog entry.  But every time I turn on the TV, whether to root for the Eagles, to root for the 'Skins, or to root for whoever is plain Dallas (in roughly that order), I think of him and I feel close to him all over again.

I hope everyone has someone to enjoy a nice game of football (or baseball, basketball, soccer, tennis, what-have-you) with!  And if you don't, well, drop on by our house one Sunday.

3 comments:

  1. plus, we know if we drop by your house the food will be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's my Grandma's fault... If I'm lucky, I take after her a LOT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for picking out the time to discuss this, I feel great about it and love studying more on this topic. It is extremely helpful for me. Thanks for such a valuable help again. https://thevang.tv/highlight.html

    ReplyDelete