Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I've Been Lucky


Please watch the video, forwarded to me by a colleague. It's funny, in a sad sort of way.

Anyone who has taught for any amount of time has had SOME variation of this conversation. I have been very lucky in that I've never had a parent storm out wanting to complain to the Principal!

I HAVE had parents come in and say to me "Well, my child isn't having any problems in their other classes..." but who were genuinely surprised when I had a list of their interim or report card grades showing a majority of D's and F's.

I've had the parent who has claimed that their child's education plan wasn't being followed, but I would always go over it with them, and tell them exactly what was being done in the classroom.

And I've had that student who played soccer, was in the school play and student government and was involved in their Church as well... But we always managed to find SOME agreeable time for extra help.

Yes, I guess I've been extremely lucky... But also, I tended to teach a bunch of immigrant kids from low-income families. And believe it or not, THOSE parents seemed to be the most cooperative and helpful ones of all!

I think it speaks volumes on the difference between seeing Education as a RIGHT, versus it being a privilege. Many of my students came here with their families specifically because they wanted an opportunity to learn, one that wasn't available in their home country.

I'm just saying... Teach your children well at home, that their Education is something to be treasured. There are so many kids in the World who would love the opportunity. When the parents do this, the kids DO listen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment