Saturday, November 24, 2012

In Memoriam...

I can't help myself, I feel compelled to share this with the World: Today, we lost a truly Great Man. I know he was not known or renowned Worldwide, but he SHOULD be! So I am posting this in the hopes that many will read this and take heed of what I say. George L. Barton IV passed away today. He was a real friend and mentor to both me and my daughter. "Barty" or "Grandpa" to many of us who knew him, had a wicked sharp tongue and an equally sharp sense of humor. He too NO CRAP from anyone. He never, EVER minced words. And he was one of the kindest and most giving people anyone could have hoped to know. I got to know "Grandpa" George at work at a most amazing place, Park View High School in Sterling VA. He was a distinguished teacher of English there, as well as at Northern Virginia Community College. When I had a personal or professional dilemma, Mr. Barton was one person I could always go to. When he didn't have some very useful advice (which was pretty much never!), he would be one to commiserate and empathize. He taught me that you can be nice and still not be taken advantage of. To his students, the word INSPIRATIONAL would pretty much sum him up. He put up with nothing short of your best effort. And he worked with you until you had truly achieved it. He taught his "kids" to work hard and to take pride in giving your all. He helped so many to turn their lives around, both academically and personally. To his co-workers he was a LIVING LEGEND. He could say what we could not -- and had the courage to do so. He busted his backside to get the job done right, too. And the effect he had on those he taught, was entirely positive and life-long. Life-CHANGING in many cases. He was also a veteran of the United States Army, who would share with you the painful story of lost friends and the devastation of War. Through his Service to Country, he learned that there are wonderful people the World over, and you have to give each and every one their fair chance. Throughout his life, George Barton fought to give everyone he met a fair chance. And he was not afraid to be honest and vulnerable, either. His telling of his war stories was a way of reminding us all how precious life is, and how important it is to make every moment count. It is terribly hard for me to say (write) this with these tears still in my eyes, BUT: DO NOT BE SAD AT HIS PASSING! Instead, be happy that he ever WAS. And be even happier if you were lucky enough to KNOW him! I personally count this man as one of my HEROES, and the things I have learned from him are as important as any teachings of the religious or philosophical greats. The best way to honor this man, who was a true HERO in so many respects, a bona-fide role model, an amazing friend, a proud and caring father, and an inspiration to anyone who met him... Would be to do as he did. This means that, if you knew him (or someone like him, or even aspire to know someone like him!!!!) you should: #1 -- Give, and give, and then give of yourself some more. The legacy you leave by doing this will be 1000's of times greater than the sum of your actions. The ability to touch others in a positive way is the best achievement anyone can hope for. Ask ANYONE who knew him and they will tell you that his spirit will live on well past his years, in everything they do and every life THEY touch! #2 -- Get off your ASS and do something! Life is not meant to be spent in quiet reflection, home alone. This great man was out teaching in two places, out with his students, friends and family on his boat, at the shooting range, or at IHOP, playing with his grandchildren, ans talking to or sending messages to present and former students. I can't tell you how many people have said "But he just called/texted/emailed me yesterday..." on learning of his passing today. He was more alive than anyone I knew. I am in awe of him still. And, #3 -- Don't take any CRAP from anyone. You can do this in the nicest possible way. I remember GB telling someone they were ACTING LIKE a dumbass. Not that they WERE A DUMBASS, oh no. Because he didn't spend time with anyone truly stupid. He just wouldn't put up with anyone who wasn't at the top of their game. MAKE people work for your respect, because you DESERVE it. TELL someone if they are out of line, while fully expecting that they CAN and WILL live up to your expectations. People will surprise you with their ability to rise to a challenge. And if you don't challenge them, you deprive both of you from the benefits that are there to be reaped. RIP George Barton. I love you like a member of my family. You have given so much to so many, and your legacy is HUGE. You have made the World a better place, and the fruits of your labor will live for many, many generations. I aspire to have ONE IOTA of the type of strength and honesty and integrity you exhibited in your lifetime. Our grieving for you is purely selfish, that we here on Earth have been deprived of your company from now on. I hope to overcome that selfishness and be the type of person you always challenged me to be.

3 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful memoriam. I am a student in one of his classes, and he truly turned my life around... He was an amazing man, and I know that I am so lucky to have known him. His passing has been particularly painful- I will miss him terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to express my deep condolences to Mr.Barton. He was truly an inspirational teacher and taught me to work hard and strive. He taught me without a strenuous life and dedication, nothing can be achieved. I am so surprised by the sudden news, because I thought it must of been someone else who passed away. He was so lively and energetic; I was amazed at how much stamina he had teaching by the time he taught his 4:00 to 6:40 pm class. One thing that I will miss about him is his story-telling, because he always had lessons and meanings behind it.

    R.I.P Mr.Barton

    ~ A student from his Thursday class

    ReplyDelete