Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I ADMIT!!!

I admit, I take "happy pills". If you have been reading me for a while, you know I "suffer" from chronic depression and sleep disorders, including but not limited to insomnia (go figure, 4am posting???)... The thing is, in general, I only take enough "happy pills" to keep the crying jags and super-sleep marathons at bay.

As a testimony to this, if I skip my "meds" for two days straight -- I am liable to have a complete reversal of my generally sunny disposition. I cry at sappy commercials, spilled milk, recipes gone awry and a dog not walked enough. This is true even though it apparently takes two weeks for these meds to build up and work in your system... I continually "push the envelope" by taking exactly as little as I can get away with, and still function as a human being. I refill my anti-anxiety meds about twice per year, instead of once per month.

Even so, one might have to wonder if my blogs aren't a little colored by medication. Do I think things are always great? Am I delusional or mentally ill? Am I looking at the World through anti-depressant-colored glasses? Do I think everything I say on here is RIGHT????

Well, luckily I've never been diagnosed as delusional. Even in the depths of depression, I have been told I am a die-hard (that was tongue-in-cheek for those of you who speak ESL or who just aren't big fans of "dark humor") realist. I have been told I'm logical to a fault, and that this contributes to my general dissatisfaction.

Apparently, if I would just have feelings and allow them to be IRRATIONAL, some very educated people think I would be happier. ILLOGICAL!!!

The thing is, everything I post on here, is subject to debate. I think, and I am logical. But I really do accept that -- not only do I not have ALL the answers -- I might well have NO ANSWERS!

The reason for this, sadly, is again my reliance on cold, hard logic. While you CAN prove something to be FALSE... You can not definitively PROVE SOMETHING TO BE TRUE. And the catch-22 here is, that just because something is proven to be true, does not necessarily mean that its (perceived) opposite is false.

Consider the statement that "all apples are red". If I bring you a green apple, you can accept that all apples are NOT red. The way you disprove something is to show a counter-example. This works brilliantly with things that are very narrowly defined -- like red and green apples.

What about 800 years ago, if you tried to prove the World was flat? Certainly for a very long time, no on had successfully circumnavigated the globe, disproving this theory. Does that mean, though, that 800 years ago -- THE WORLD WAS FLAT? Clearly most people would say NO. But can you be certain????

What about the Universe? Can we be sure of Creationism versus the Big Bang Theory? Well, if we are really to decide, FIRST we must accept that the one precludes the other. Same with Evolution. Does the existence of monkeys in the modern World disprove Evolution? Some would say yes, some no. Most definitively!

But are they truly opposites? If you say yes, how can you prove THAT to me???

PLEASE, prove to me beyond the shadow of a doubt that there is no in-between... That there is NO GOD, and that Evolution was not a part of his plan... Go on, I'm waiting....

Sometime in the near future, I am going to have to go to Court, and disprove (beyond the shadow of a doubt!!!) that a debt that was incurred is NOT mine. This defies logic! But that is how civil courts work -- on anti-logic.

If I committed assault or theft, you would have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it DID happen. And that, at least in theory, is possible. But how do you prove something DIDN'T HAPPEN??? Did a tree falling in the forest, make no noise? Even once did this NOT HAPPEN? The World may never know....

And so, no, I don't take everything I write as being "true". I live for truths to be disproven. I love to be shown a different and better way.

So I ask my dear friends and readers this: Please PROVE to me that the World was NOT flat 800, 900, or 1,000 years ago. Please PROVE to me that Evolution and Creationism are mutually exclusive. Show me a new way. But please, follow the laws of Logic as you do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment