Monday, March 14, 2011

Please Help Japan





Well, I don't know about you, but I personally have spent a good amount of time every day, for the past four days, literally crying when I think about the devastation in Japan. For those of you who don't know me, I am NOT a cryer. I generally reserve crying for the passing of a close friend or relative, or being backed over by a large truck. But this, this situation and the ongoing tragedy, it gets me every time.

Right now, I'm backed away from the keyboard. I have to make sure I can finish this post without short-circuiting it with the tears that just won't stop coming.

But the thing is, my tears are inconsequential. They help not one iota, not one single person. And that is why this post is so important to me -- because we all need to help. I know it. You know it. And we all WANT to.

Granted, Japan is not Haiti. It has more financial and intellectual resources with which to deal with these dark days. But because Japan is a democratically run and as corruption-free as any in the Industrialized world, our donations are more likely to be effective and timely. But I would still encourage people to remember Haiti, and make a donation there as well, if you can.

So, please consider not only making a donation to a charity of your choosing (see my Saturday post for three recommendations), right now, this week... But also consider setting up a reminder for yourself to donate AGAIN in a month, two months, three months.

Use the calendar on your wall, the Calendar in your computer, or the Calendar in your cell phone to set up reminders to donate to relief efforts in the future. Too often, there is a massive outpouring of help and funds directly after a disaster, but a month or two later many are still displaced, having no homes, food, water, or means to gain them for themselves.

Personally, I tend to prefer charities that will quickly distribute food, water and/or clothing to the peoples without, or that will provide temporary shelter and/or immediate medical care. I also tend toward charities that are not religiously affiliated, so be aware that this influences my recommendations! In making a decision I would encourage you to see the following link that rates International Relief charities: http://www.charitywatch.org/toprated.html#intrelief so that you can make an informed decision.

Some charities that both have an "A" rating and are actively seeking donations specifically for Japan OR have already mobilized and are in Japan providing relief, are:


Doctors Without Borders (14% administrative expenses) https://donate.doctorswithoutborders.org/SSLPage.aspx?pid=240

International Rescue Committee (10% administrative expenses) https://www.rescue.org/donate/emergency


Again, please consider donating not just once but multiple times. Most of us have never had to live through a natural disaster, let alone two. At the risk of making myself cry yet again, and sharing the tears with you -- think of the children!

Think of the parents who are unable to feed their kids right now, because there simply IS NO FOOD where they are. Think of the parents shivering in the cold of night with no heat, trying to keep their sons and daughters warm when all their belongings have disappeared and there is no heat.

And also consider this: In the wake of hurricane Katrina, over 100 countries donated to relief efforts, here, in the United States -- the country with the most resources of all to deal with such a tragedy! Japan helped us, and one man, Takashi Endo, donated $1 MILLION to the relief efforts on his own. So please help!

No comments:

Post a Comment